Top Ten Tips for Better Portraits
1) Talk to your model to put them at ease.
2) Capture people doing things they love.
3) Pay attention to backgrounds - keep it simple.
4) Fill the frame. Zoom in close for more impact.
5) Try shooting near a large window for beautiful soft light.
6) Use flash to chase shadows away - especially in bright sunlight.
7) Ask the model to tilt one shoulder closer to the lens for a more flattering angle.
8) Pay attention to color. Try to use color harmonies to determine the best wardrobe.
9) Pay attention to pattern. Solid colors often work better than prints for portraits.
10) Use a shallow depth of field to separate the model from the background and create a point of interest.